Dear Jazz Fan,
CKCU-FM is a remarkable and unique institution; starting thirty-six years ago as a campus radio station, it saw and accepted the challenge of the needs of the diverse communities who live in Canada's National Capital Region, and today, as a campus/community station, it broadcasts not only in English but in more than a dozen foreign languages. I also believe that our quality of programming in blues, classical, country, dance, jazz and world music is unsurpassed by any other Canadian radio station.
We are listener-supported radio; this means we receive no subsidies whatsoever from any level of government and can only survive because of your contributions and our volunteers' dedication.
I am writing to ask if you would consider sponsoring one hour of alternative/community radio at CKCU-FM 93.1 in Ottawa. CKCU provides at least six unique and valuable services to the community:
(1) We present a whole range of alternative music that you'll never find on commercial radio, presented by people with passion and authority. Our jazz, blues, dance, world, country and classical music programs cover the whole history of these musics, are presented by acknowledged experts in each area, and reject the superficial fashion-conscious “Top 40” approach you’ll hear on the region’s commercial stations.
(2) We provide a voice and a community billboard for many of the communities that make up our population; we have regular Aboriginal, Asian, Caribbean, Chinese, Christian, Filipino, German, Gospel, Haitian, Indian, Jamaican, Jewish, Latin American, Muslim, Persian, Scottish, Spanish, Somali, and Vietnamese programming – to name a few!
(3) We give an independent and diverse point of view on political and community affairs. We are not owned by a large profit-oriented corporation or a government, and our volunteers and our Board reflect the diverse opinions and viewpoints of the communities they come from.
(4) We bring you the renowned BBC World news four times every weekday, respected internationally for its independence and broad coverage.
(5) We support local musicians by publicizing their gigs and airing their CDs.You don’t have to be a big name to get heard on CKCU.
(6) We keep you informed of upcoming jazz and blues concerts that you might otherwise miss, by mentioning them on our programs and playing upcoming artists.
As a former Treasurer and Chairman of the Board, I can assure you that CKCU has a bare-bones budget. Because most of us are volunteers, we are able to bring you world-class radio at a cost of a little over $40.00 per hour! We have three revenue sources:
A voluntary levy paid by the students of Carleton University
Income from organizations who sponsor particular programs
The community of listeners and musicians [You!]
Our community Funding Drive runs this year from Friday October 21 until Sunday November 6. Our target for 2011 is $111,000. You can Dial and Donate at 613-520-3920 or 1-877-520-3920. You can complete a Pre-Pledge form. You can pledge by E-mail at www.ckcufm.com. However you pledge, you will receive a tax receipt for donations over $25.00, as we are a registered educational charity.
I am attaching the October/November/December schedule for my show "In A Mellow Tone" which airs every Wednesday from 9:00pm to 11:00pm in Ottawa [and around the world on the Internet at http://www.ckcufm.com/audio.html]. When you pledge, please mention “In A Mellow Tone” if you want to support my program specifically.
Please see if you can sponsor just one hour of alternative/community radio. It's your community and your radio station and will cost you a tax-free $40.00. [Less than one dollar a week for 24/7 quality entertainment!].
With my sincere thanks for anything you can do,
(CKCU Volunteer since 1976)