September 17, 2010

GUELPH HIGHLIGHTS

GUELPH HIGHLIGHTS 2010


I did not arrive in Guelph until Wednesday late afternoon, and left after the
10:30am concert on Sunday, and did not attend every concert while I was there.

I enjoyed parts or all of the concerts that I did attend, but there were three concerts which remain vibrating in my memory and typify why I am such a loyal supporter of the Guelph Jazz Festival. Chronologically:

Marilyn Crispell’s solo piano concert. Largely spontaneously improvised, it took us on an unpredictable journey full of surprises, detours and delights.

Muhal Richard Abrams, Roscoe Mitchell and George Lewis. I have never heard Richard or Roscoe play more inventively or more passionately.

Marc Ribot, Henry Grimes, Chad Taylor. This was my first opportunity to hear Marc in person, and what an impression he made with his very personal and often explosive guitar style. Henry was supple and dependable as ever, and Chad proved yet again why he is one of today’s most swinging drummers.

Ron Sweetman.